At the beginning of WWII there were nearly 250 Jews in Meppel. Soon this number increased when 15 German Jews, who had fled from their country, settled in Meppel.
By the notorious Order 6 /1941 all Jews had to be registered by the occupying power. On their identity card the letter ‘J’ was printed, and they were obliged to wear the Star of David.
The next step was isolation from the rest of the population: for instance their shops were closed and the children were no longer allowed to go to school or the swimming pool.
Then they were robbed of their possessions and finally deported. They were first taken to work camps and then to the notorious ‘Camp Westerbork’. This was only the beginning of the ultimate aim: their liquidation in the extermination camps.
The result was terrible: in 1945 only eighteen Jews returned to Meppel. 232 Meppel Jews had been killed by the Germans, and the town eventually changed into a place with hardly any Jews at all. The synagogue, which was no longer used, was sold and was later demolished.
Long after the war, Meppel woke up as if from a bad dream. Something irreparable had been done. The Jewish element, which had been part of Meppel culture for centuries, had been snatched away. A memorial was erected in the city center, but this only shows names and dates. That is why there is this supplement, a digital memorial, in which one can find, just by a click on the family name, as much information as is available at the moment.
Anybody who is interested can have a look at the data and can add to or correct them, so that the site will be up-to-date.